2.20.2007

alley wildlife

Drinking does strange things to people here.


I live up by Loyola in Chicago, and when the weekend starts on thursday, I have to force my way through the hordes of students storming the bars at ten at night when I get off work. I subsequently have to listen to them as I feign an attempt at sleep at four am. Tom and I were staying up wth a bottle of 'mostly whiskey' from the CVS pharmacy down the street [as we are too poor to hit the bars and frankly fear the clientelle.] I sat by the kitchen window with it's glorious view of the intersection of Devon and Sheridan, and the alley next door as I tried to steal the internet connection from other people in the building. I moved the laptop closer to the window to get a better signal. This was around two am and the bars were letting out.
I usually enjoy watching the drunken future doctors and lawyers spew into the streets, nearly getting run over by cars, screaming and laughing. Every now and again you'll get a crier. That's a girl surrounded by her friends sitting on the curb bawling her eyes out because some pompus frat boy turned her down. Said frat boy is high-fiving his yo-bro comrades and scoping out the criers friends. At two am they migrate to the four am bar up the street. Most of them make it, some end up tossing it in the rubish bin on the corner, collapsing, and making it home an hour or so later.

On this night, this particular night, one couple would not make it to the next bar. They wouldn't even make it home! I looked out the window and saw a guy leading a girl into the alley. For the next ten minutes I tried not to watch as they drunkenly rammed each other against the alley wall. I suppose after they exhausted all their option and angles on the wall, they decided the alley floor might make a good place to stage their act.

Might I mention here that in the two days prior to this debachary that the greater chicagoland area had received around 10 inches of SNOW, and that temperatures were ranging around 4 DEGREES. With that in mind, I'll continue:

I thought they had left when I looked back. That is until I saw the girl's head crest the view from the garage roof. They were actually humping on the alley floor, in 10 inches of snow. I guess being drunk really does make you feel warm. I called Tom over to confirm that I wasn't seeing things, that it was really happening. We then came to a realization, after they got back up to give the wall another go. I would be really pissed if I was that girl, I mean, this guy won't even take her home. They were out in that alley for a solid hour! I really wanted to shout out the window "Just take her home already!"

No comments: